We can help implement improved design review and gate reviews processes as part of improving the effectiveness of your product development process. Each type of review requires three steps: preparation, the review, and the follow-up actions. Weaknesses in any one these areas can undermine the effectiveness of the review. In addition, other common issues we have observed are:
- Limited agenda or topics addressed in a design review
- Gate reviews that delve too far into the technical aspects of the design itself
- Too many gate reviews which slow down the process
- Lack of discipline or delays in conducting design reviews or gate reviews
- Gate reviews which never kill less desirable projects
We can assist with implementing or improving the design review and/or gate review process with the following steps.
- The first step would be to review any relevant documentation describing your product development process, gate review process, and design review process.
- Next we would identify gaps in the design review and/or gate review process.
- We would then review a design review or gate review package prepared prior to the review. We would observe a typical design review or gate review and note how they were conducted and the follow-up actions noted.
- Based on these steps, we would prepare and present our findings and recommendations.
- Upon agreement with the recommendations, we would create or update the necessary documentation describing how to conduct one or both of these types of reviews.
- We would then prepare and conduct training in how to better conduct one or both of these types of reviews.
- Finally, we would participate in a subsequent design or gate review and provide coaching or feedback on how to better conduct the review.
For further information, contact Kenneth Crow at DRM Associates
Phone +1 310-377-5569