The following serves as a checklist for product launch activities:
- A product launch plan has been prepared
covering all activities to be performed by Engineering, Manufacturing,
Marketing, Sales, Product Support, and Field Service.
- Functional departments understand their responsibilities for launch
- Functional departments have commited the necessary resources to
support launch activities.
- The launch activities are on track to be completed as currently
- A Production Readiness Review, Product Launch Review or related
gate review confirms that all preparations have been completed and the
product is ready to launch.
- Product performance has
been evaluated through testing and qualification and the product
meets its defined requirements.
- The product and the production process have been qualified or
validated and all regulatory approvals and/or certifications have been
- All product design documentation has been completed and approved.
- The product documentation is under configuration control.
- Technical data sheets have been prepared.
- User documentation, operating manuals and maintenance instructions
have been completed.
- Engineering personnel stand ready to address any issues that arise.
- Required manufacturing process documentation or outputs (e.g., work
instructions, CNC programs, manning plans, etc. are complete.
- New tooling and equipment has been qualified/validated
- Production processes have been proven/qualified/validated using either pilot production
lines or actual production lines.
- Production workers have been trained or training is planned to
support initiation of production.
- The product and demand forecast data has been established in the
enterprise resource planning (ERP) system and ERP is used to plan and
manage the supply chain and production.
- All suppliers have been selected and qualified.
- Needed materials and parts are on-order or in stock.
- Adequate capacity and personnel exist to support planned
- The distribution pipeline is filled with the appropriate level of
Marketing and Sales
- Market receptivity has been evaluated by key
customer feedback, focus groups, test markets, or beta tests prior
- If the product is being used by beta customers, testimonials or case studies have
- A promotion and advertising plan has
- Advertising copy has been developed and media contracts and arrangements have
- Promotional materials and sales literature have
been developed, ordered, and are ready to distribute.
- Sales and distribution channels have been
identified and established.
- Sales personnel have been trained.
- Sales personnel have the needed sales
literature, sales support material and product samples.
- Product pricing has been established and
- Final packaging has been designed, approved and ordered.
- The sales forecast has been updated based on the latest forecast of
- The website has been updated.
- Press releases have been prepared
and are ready to distrbute.
- Industry analysts or other influential personnel have been briefed as planned.
- A product release and/or general availability
has been announced.
- Necessary support resources are hired and in place.
- Service and support personnel have been trained or a phased training program is underway.
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ's) have been identified and responses prepared.
- Troubleshooting guides, installation guides, and service manuals have been prepared.
- Spare part requirements have been planned.