PROCESS DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE
8. Develop Product Concept
Based on the product requirements and specifications,
multiple product concepts are developed that can potentially satisfy those
requirements. Brainstorming and other
creativity techniques are used to generate a range of concept alternatives. These concepts are analyzed with respect to
the product requirements as well as the existing technology portfolio, company
capabilities, and business strategy in order to select the most promising
architecture. The architecture is
refined and the best aspects of other concepts are synthesized into the concept.
- Brainstorm and develop top-level product or
system concepts to satisfy product requirements.
- Analyze, evaluate and select a preferred product
concept considering product requirements, company technology and
capabilities, development risks, and business strategy.
- Partition the system into subsystems or modules
(and derive subsystem requirements
- Brainstorm and develop subsystem concepts to
satisfy lower-level requirements.
- Analyze, evaluate and select subsystem concepts
considering requirements, company technology and capabilities, development
risks, and business strategy.
- Identify need for risk-reduction development or
investigation and launch effort.
- Document the concept.
- Product requirements document
- Product concept block diagram
- Layout drawing
- Concept selection matrix
- Project Manager
- Design Engineers
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Test Engineer
- Supply Management