This is an example of the definition of a process step in a new product development process. This is a step in the Concept Development Phase.
8. Develop Product Concept
Based on the product requirements and specifications, multiple product concepts are developed that can potentially satisfy those requirements. Brainstorming and other creativity techniques are used to generate a range of concept alternatives. These concepts are analyzed with respect to the product requirements as well as the existing technology portfolio, company capabilities, and business strategy in order to select the most promising architecture. The architecture is refined and the best aspects of other concepts are synthesized into the concept.
- Brainstorm and develop top-level product or system concepts to satisfy product requirements.
- Analyze, evaluate and select a preferred product concept considering product requirements, company technology and capabilities, development risks, and business strategy.
- Partition the system into subsystems or modules (and derive subsystem requirements
- Brainstorm and develop subsystem concepts to satisfy lower-level requirements.
- Analyze, evaluate and select subsystem concepts considering requirements, company technology and capabilities, development risks, and business strategy.
- Identify need for risk-reduction development or investigation and launch effort.
- Document the concept.
- Product requirements document
- Product concept block diagram
- Layout drawing
- Concept selection matrix